Friday, December 31, 2010

Pig in the Cubby

If you are following this blog at all, by now you have realized that I am a pack rat. I collect all kinds of things wherever I go, and yes, they are showing up in these daily paintings. It can't help but wind up being an autobiography in paint for any artist practicing daily painting. I think that is what makes the body of work interesting. It is a lens into a person's life, what they observe and what they surround themselves with.

Here is a cast iron piggy bank I picked up somewhere along the way. I love the chipped and worn paint. I actually think he is more attractive that way than if he were in pristine condition. My friend Mary (who is a fantastic artist) thinks this painting is edgy and dark. I never started out to create that impression, it is just what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment